Clarence Thomson and Tom Condon
After you learn an Enneagram style and thoroughly understand your place in the Enneagram system, is there some way to use all this profound information about the inner world? Let me count the ways.
- The Enneagram is a profound diagnostic tool so it is no surprise that it is as valuable in therapy as any other diagnosis. Knowing the Enneagram doesn’t cure any problems but X-rays don’t cure medical problems either, but is extremely valuable anyway.
- Using the Enneagram in coaching adds a template over all your coaching skills. You continue to use your standard coaching techniques but now you have a new precision because when people are stuck, they’re usually stuck in their Enneagram style.
- With some imagination you can use the Enneagram in business, not only because we need to understand one another no matter what we’re doing, but because business units (departments, corporations, divisions) all tend to have strengths and weaknesses that cluster around an Enneagram style.
- You may not realize that a pharmacist can tell your Enneagram style by the prescriptions you want fulfilled. A knowledgeable chemist sees quite clearly that our physical maladies reflect or help create our enneagram style.
- Ever wonder why Time Management suggestions work for almost a week before you return to your old habits? Hint: time management is life management and our ego style (our Enneagram style) is a coping mechanism. We exercise our Enneagram style to make it through the day. That’s time management all right, but it is more precisely life management.
- Ever wonder why your very bright son can’t seem to do well in school? Well, school is structured in such a way that certain Enneagram types have a decided advantage and others have a much tougher time but it has much less to do with intelligence than may appear. If parents and teachers knew the Enneagram they would stop worrying because she is not as social or he is not as reflective as standardized tests might demand.
- What if you could identify Enneagram styles in literature and movies? You would see the styles acted out in carefully crafted works of art that would give you a much deeper understanding of yourself and others. Symbolic, emotionally charged stories teach us on deeper levels than any essay or logical explanation can.
The Enneagram may have originated as a spiritual direction tool in the 4th century so it obvious that the Enneagram can be used most effectively in your spiritual search. Condon and Thomson have both taught and used the Enneagram for many years. They have gathered the authors from around the entire Enneagram community and collected their insights and writings about how they’ve used the Enneagram in their speciality. They used two criteria: the author has to know the Enneagram rather thoroughly and must be using it in a practical way. We can learn “about” the Enneagram with considerable benefit, but another kind of learning takes place when we see someone using it in a specific situation -- especially if that situations closely resembles ours.
So come and learn from the people doing the work. You can have the opportunity to learn from our experiences.